Thursday, February 02, 2006

Birthday Recap


[ Note: Yes, I know that this is not a birthday photo, but I don't have those yet and I couldn't upload this other one I wanted to add. So here's another recent one of Brian taken at another happy time. It is what it is. ]

For Brian’s birthday, it was decided that we would have his favorite pizza for dinner, which coincidentally enough, is the same as mine. Funny how that works out. Now this being a family event, I couldn’t bring a date. Sorry Jessica.

It’s a decent sized group (10 people altogether) and, as luck would have it, I get stuck at one end of the table which is unfortunate because: (a) I keep getting brushed harder than a head of nappy hair, and (b) I’m stuck sitting next to the 6-year old that chants “Pizza! Pizza!” nonstop for 15 minutes -- even after the pizza arrives -- as well as the other kid who asks inane questions which indicate he’s never been to a birthday party before”:

Child 1 - “Can I blow out the candles?”
Actual Response: “Hey, it’s Brian’s birthday, why don’t we let him do it?”
Restrained Response: “Are you nuts? How about you instead sit down and wait for the cake?”

Later on came the following exchange, which again evidenced an appalling lack of birthday etiquette:

Child 1 - “Can I open some of Brian’s presents?”
Actual Response (pausing): “No, they’re Brian’s presents. If you want to choose which present he opens, that’s fine.”
Restrained Response: “Are you shitting me? Hell no you can’t open his presents. Jesus Christ.”

And so it went. All in all, it was a good time, especially when the entire restaurant sang happy birthday to Brian, who was just beaming the entire time. He had a great time, which is most important (even if I couldn’t bring Jessica).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zachary's IS the best pizza! Poor Jessica~ but who knows, she was probably there too.. just "invisible".. :)

David James said...

Zachary's is fantastic and I certainly made every effort to inhale as much pizza as possible. And Mom didn't bring her boyfriend presumably because Jessica was there (albeit invisibly). Go figure.