Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Hello Ten-neck-see

The White House announced Tuesday that President Bush is taking Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to Memphis, Tennessee for a pilgrimage to Graceland. The trip to Presley's estate is scheduled for June 30, a day after Koizumi -- who is allegedly a big-time Elvis fan -- is scheduled to meet with GW at the White House, Bush spokesman Tony Snow said in a statement.

Said Snow, "The president and Mrs. Bush look forward to introducing the prime minister to the beauty and warm hospitality of the people of the Volunteer State."

Wow. I can just imagine GW agonizing over where to take the Japanese Prime Minsister on his upcoming trip to the United States:

"Juni's flying hundreds of miles to visit, so I have to take him some place good. Let's see ... if I were the king of Japan, where would I want to visit? Normally we would just go to Senior Frog's for some tequila shooters, but that's getting kinda old. Maybe the Smithsonian? Scratch that idea ... all that reading makes my head hurt. How about Benihana's? Nah, they probably have a couple of 'em over there."

"Wait a second, I got it. Graceland! Done deal."

How fucking neck-ish is that? You would think they could find a better place to take the Japanese Prime Minister than Tennessee. With all due respect to Tennessee, I really don't think it's representative of this country socially, culturally or politically (or is it?? I hope not). Jesus, we're talking about a state where "Larry the Cable Guy" is revered and "Hee Haw" is broadcast on PBS for cryingoutloud. What the fuck, was Dollywood all booked up?

Now if it were up to me, I would put him in the backseat of a Suburban filled with alcohol -- not to mention a box of Kleenex -- and make the seven-and-a-half hour drive from Washington DC to Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. There's good sushi there and even better blue drinks. He'll love it, even if the place is dead on the weekends and smells vaguely of feet. Just make sure not to stop along with way in Pittsburgh for a heavy German breakfast (sorry, inside joke).

But instead, he'll be subjected to this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a lifelong resident of Memphis (minus a year or so in Virginia) and I am SOOOO suprised that this isn't all over the news here! I had NO IDEA Bush was plannig on coming here until I read about it on your site. Not that I am a fan of Bush in any way, shape, or form. This is gonna SUCK BIG TIME if it is true! Everyone here will be going apeshit over this and ther is no doubt in my mind it's gonna annoy the hell outta me and many more!

David James said...

That is odd, you would think that this would have been a big deal. I've seen it on a couple of news wires.

But then again, this could just be some sort of ruse for GW to get invited to Japan to meet Mothra. Who knows.