Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Real World Denver

I have a confession - I'm a big fan of MTV's "The Real World." It's true. I don't watch it religiously, but whenever I do happen to turn to MTV and it's on, well ... I've been known to waste some time learning about the grueling "real world" struggles that these 7 strangers face. You know, living in a strange city for 3 months, without having to worry about making the mortgage payment on their ridiculous flat. Or even holding down a real job (I do not consider "Making an ass of one's self on TV" to be a real job). But it's such a train wreck that I usually can't help myself.

So it was a pleasant surprise when I learned today that MTV has decided to film its next Real World season in my former 'hood of Denver, Colorado. Yes, prepare yourself Kate, A-Train and JP - the 18th season of "The Real World” will begin production in Denver in Q2 2006. The next season of the popular MTV reality series is scheduled to premiere Q4 2006 and is slated for 24 episodes.

And while I understand it's normal to sometimes exaggerate things a bit in press releases, the quotes that emanated from this announcement went a bit above and beyond:

* "Denver has absolutely everything we could hope for -- diversity, activities, energy and nightlife,” said Lois Curren, Executive Vice President, MTV Series Entertainment. “We’re sure that the character and spirit of this picturesque city will be endlessly compelling to the seven roommates and audience alike.”

* “We are thrilled to be shooting our upcoming season in the Mile High City,” said Jon Murray, creator and Executive Producer of ‘The Real World’. “A gorgeous landscape at the foot of the Rockies coupled with a diverse population and unique amenities make Denver an ideal setting for our 18th season.”

* “This is a tremendous opportunity for Denver to showcase our cultural and recreational vibrancy to a very large, young audience,” said Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper.

* "The State of Colorado is already known for its unbeatable skiing and Rocky Mountain vistas," said Colorado Governor Bill Owens. "'The Real World' will showcase a different side of Colorado, with Denver's burgeoning nightlife and the countless cultural and entertainment options that make our state capital 'Real' world-class. MTV has made an outstanding choice."

"Diversity"? "Picturesque"? "Cultural vibrancy"? "Burgeoning nightlife and the countless cultural and entertainment options"? WTF? Are we talking about Denver, Colorado? Or is there a Denver, Spain I'm unaware of?

Look, I'm not trying to put down the cow town (so please don't tell me I suck or the city I currently live in sucks or that I should never visit again). There are a lot of things I like and miss about Denver. But when I think of Denver, the terms diversity, cultural vibrancy or burgeoning nightlife never enter my mind. Denver is one of the whitest, most homogenous cities I've ever spent time in so I'm shocked that that term would be used to describe Denver (and more than once, too).

As far as culture, I have found that it's mostly limited to sports teams and skiing. Denver is far prouder of the fact that they have professional football, baseball, basketball and hockey teams rather than decent museums. (I will admit, though, that their sports teams are generally better than what you find out here, so I'll give them that.)

But "burgeoning nightlife?" To paraphrase Bill Lumberg from "Office Space" - "Ummm, yeah. I'm going to have to sort of disagree with you there." Seriously, good luck finding a decent dinner after 10:00 in that burgeoning nightlife. And if anyone suggests Pete’s Kitchen, then they must be confusing the term “decent dinner” with “food poisoning.”

That being said, I will fondly watch all 24 episodes of "The Real World: Denver." I'm a junkie for the show and I'll enjoy seeing my old stomping grounds, even if they are being trampled with 7 pampered, annoying twenty-somethings.

P.S. Thanks to HM for the information. I know you'll be watching it as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree w/ your observation.. Denver, the "whitest" town.. at least whenever i turned around, i think i saw someone white.. but then, who knows - it's been a while..

Smartypants said...

Oh my God. I can't believe Real World has been on almost 20 years.

I watch it, too, but so reluctantly.

It sucks me in.

Anonymous said...

All the Real World kids need is a place to get smashed and hook up. No diversity, activities, energy, or nightlife required.

That said, someone at MTV must have bought into that whole #1 city for singles myth that was circulating last year.

I too will watch all 24 episodes.