Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Goodbye Dickhead

Just one month after easily winning a contested primary for his House seat in suburban Houston, embattled Rep. Tom DeLay has decided to drop out of his re-election race and instead plans to resign from Congress by the end of May. In an interview Monday with "Time" magazine, DeLay (the former exterminator who is facing criminal charges and the political fallout associated with his ties to lobbyist Jack Abramoff) said that even though he still believed he could win re-election, he is a realist and did not want to risk losing the seat to a Democratic challenger.

"This had become a referendum on me," DeLay said. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for the district."

I love how DeLay plays the old "I'm being persecuted" angle by using codewords like "referendum on me." Boo hoo. I hate to break it to you Hammer, but you brought all this shit on yourself. You are one of the most loathsome and vile people in all of Congress. Here are just a few of his most recent gems:

* Asked three young Katrina evacuees, “Now tell me the truth, boys, is this kind of fun?”

* Claimed that there was “no fat left to cut” from the federal budget to offset New Orleans reconstruction costs.

* Explaining his failure to enlist during Vietnam: "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself."

* Last year, he smiled for his criminal mugshot like it was a campaign poster.

I wish you nothing but the worst in the future and hope you enjoy the bighouse. To paraphrase Office Space, "Watch your cornhole, Tom."

4 comments:

Smartypants said...

Try to imagine living near his constituents.

Actually, they live in the 'burbs but still.

I hafta admit there have been a ton of anti-Delay bumper sticks and that makes my Texas heart jump for joy.

David James said...

Seriously though, where have all the bumper stickers and outrage been over the past 20 years? He's been there since 1984 and he's been atrocious from day 1. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's gone but wish he would have left a long time ago.

Smartypants said...

You are absolutely right. I wonder that myself.

Most of the people with the anti-Delay bumper stickers don't live in his district though. Unfortunately.

David James said...

Don't give them any ideas. All they have to do is redistrict Texas again, and you'll all be living in the same district. Yikes.