Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Calendar Day!

A belated New Year's greetings to all. Since I generally dislike New Year's as a holiday (it's really simply a celebration of a new calendar, big shit) and as a celebration (it's amateur night, although I had a good time this year). So this year, I did something other than working out extensively on New Year's Day -- I went on a trip with the progeny to Disneyland. I was like "why not, I haven't been there in 15 years" and I've heard it's changed a bit during the interim.

Now this is normally a fun, although somewhat daunting, experience. Add to that a raging hangover, and you can sense how the trip started out. In hindsight, the combination of vodka, mai tais and champagne was probably not the wisest. Among the items I forgot in my foggy and hurried departure to the airport was my industrial strength rain jacket - a decision I will quickly regret on this trip.

The trip was far more challenging than normal because it was done during the extended New Year's Day holiday weekend and everyone else evidently had the same bright idea. Hello sea of humanity. The flight down was made memorable by the constant turbulence and the presence of some god-awful perfume that some inconsiderate woman doused herself with near the end of the flight. I guess it's imperative that she smell good as she exits the plane.

I arrive at Santa Ana airport around 1:00 (I refuse to call it "John Wayne Airport" just as I refuse to call DC-National "Reagan" airport. I am quickly reminded I am back in So Cal by the number of fake tits I see. Awesome. And by awesome, I really do mean awesome.

I quickly discover the closest Del Taco on my way to Mouseland and, I must say, I forgot how awesome Del Taco is. Far better than Taco Bell as completely unhealthy fast food chains go. I highly recommend the large chicken tacos.

After splurging on $4 worth of food, I headed to the park to meet up with the kids who were already there with family and friends. For those of you that have never been to Disneyland, let alone Southern California, let me dispel a popular myth - it is not always 80 degrees and sunny there. In fact, sometimes the weather is downright shitty. Take for example, ohhh, Sunday when I arrived. It was raining so hard when I got there, I think I saw an ark filled with two sets of animals floating down Main Street. I deeply regretted leaving my rain coat as I was left simply with a hooded sweatshirt and $5 umbrella I bought from a street vendor. By the end of the day, I looked like a wet cat (and I have a picture to prove it). And despite the crowds, the park is absolutely packed.

Tomorrow: Day 2.

No comments: