Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Happy Wednesday

So working for a Finnish-based company, you often time have conference calls at odd times -- 6:00 a.m., 10:00 p.m. and the like. It's not a big deal because I can take them from home, as I do tonight where we are having our bi-weekly group call. The bad side is that Wednesday night is also rugby night, which is also a drinking night ... and then it's a conference call night ... and ..., well, you get the idea.

You would be proud of me, though. Tonight, I was very disciplined. I went to rugby practice, had a post-practice beer and headed home to get some dinner before my 10:00 call.

Until the point in time when I thought "well it would be a shame to eat dinner without a glass of wine."

And then I was like "well, my call is starting in 15 minutes, I'd better level off my glass since this call is going to last a hour."

Well as you can guess, David James was feeling pretty good during his call. Damn good, in fact, and the call was going fine, until I was suddenly asked "so what's going on with you, David James?"

Now normally I'm not so great when I'm put on the spot. It's even worse when I'm totally blindsided, I've had a couple of drinks, not to mention the fact that I am desperately trying to update this blog at the same time I sit on the call.

In my head I thought, "Jesus people, I have a world-wide blog audience that I am trying to satisfy here, folks. Stop harshing my mellow with all the work questions!!"

And what I said was more along the lines of "sure, let me update folks on the call about my current projects. Right now, I'm working on ...."

There are times when I want to shoot myself. This would be one of them.

Happy Wednesday / Thursday / whatever day you read this ...

No comments: