Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Final Countdown

My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."
Kevin Spacey, "American Beauty"

I will be giving my resignation notice this Friday and I've been struggling a bit with what to say. Should I be honest about my opinion about my boss and what a psychotic, abusive prick he is? If so, I would draft my resignation letter a bit like this:

"Dear Human Resources,

It is with great joy and relief that I hereby submit my resignation effective March 25, 2008. While I have enjoyed working with many of the folks here at *****, my job has basically devolved into a lower level of hell while working for *** *** (a/k/a "The Bipolar Bear"). I would rather stick my hand in a wood chipper than ever work for this man again.

Regards,
David James"

Or do I just keep it simple and professional and exit gracefully? While I have no issues with burning bridges here such that you can see the smoke and embers for miles, I really don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. Everyone already knows he's an abusive asshole, I don't know that my reiteration is necessary (although it would be nice).

I'm really on the fence on this one so I would appreciate your suggestions.

5 comments:

DerekB said...

I say take the high road. You are taking some time off before the new job?

David James said...

I'm planning on taking off about a week (my last day will be a Tuesday and I'll start the following Tuesday).

I am really undecided on the issue still. My boss is such a raging prick that I really want to say something but I worry that he'll simply take it out on others in my department. Plus, it's not like it's a huge revelation, so I am not sure if it will make any difference. But it would be really nice to flame him. I dunno.

Kate said...

Oh come on - you know you have to take the high road. You never know how something like that could come back to haunt you.

Anonymous said...

I say you give him special recognition. Talk about all you learned while under his supervision and how much you apprecited your time with him - that'll fuck him up more than any insult.....or you could just pull a Borat and write "NOT!" at the end of the letter.

Cindy said...

I think posting the hair picture you have planned will be sufficient. Congrats on flying the coop.